Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Deliver Me/Consume Our Dross


Deliver Me

From dullness to a friendly word,
From deafness to the song of bird,
From blindness to the birds and flowers
That grow among the rocky hours,
From all that would ungratefully
Becloud my sky, deliver me.

From craven inner selfishness
Whatever be its outward dress,
From fainting when the goal is near,
From faltering in my song of cheer,
From all that is unsoldierly,
Captain of souls, deliver me.

From coldness to the burning woe
Mine eyes have seen, my heart must know;
From weakness in the awful fight
Again the demons of the night;
From all that would dishonor Thee,
O Christ, my Lord, deliver me.

From fearing calls to do and dare,
From insincerity in prayer,
From dread of battle wound and scar,
From seeing mud instead of star;
From all that would dishonor Thee,
O Christ, my Lord, deliver me.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Consume Our Dross

Lord, Thou hast said, "Seek ye My face."
O Lord of love, and Lord of grace,
We cannot lift our hearts to Thee
Till Thou hast cleansed us thoroughly.

O turn Thy hand upon us, Lord,
And search us with Thy powerful word.
And by the virtue of Thy Cross
Consume and cleanse away our dross.
-----
both poems by Amy Carmichael

No comments: