Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2006

John 15:1-11




The last two weeks in our worship service we have been studying John 15 and what it means to abide in the Lord. I had a great example of that today as I worked in my yard.

Our neighbor has a chain link fence that is covered in vines, some in our yard and some in theirs. Some of the vines are green and full while others are, well, sad; thin, not much foliage, tired. While I was raking leaves away from the fence, I decided to cut the some of the sad-looking ones and trim up everything. I thought it would be an easy job; I just had to cut the vine and pull it off the fence. It was easy to cut it but when I went to pull it, I could see that is was attached by many tendrils that wound around the wire in the fence. They were so tightly wrapped that I could not just pull them off; I had to cut each tendril in order to remove the vine. I thought, "That's how I need to be abiding in Christ: so tightly bound to Him that nothing can pull me away."

I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. John 15:5

No comments: