Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Advent

We have never really celebrated Advent during the holiday season. Every year we do countdown to Christmas with an advent calendar. We always pick ones that have Scripture in each window. This year we are making a Jesse Tree using this book. I've spent a lot time researching what to use and this one seems the best fit for our family. There are a lot of free resources on the web and they are easy to find by googling "Jesse Tree" but I liked this one best. I have been reading Ann's blog, Holy Experience, for a long time and I feel I "know" her and her heart for the Lord. If you haven't been reading her blog, you are missing out on some challenging words!

Tomorrow we'll go in the backyard and look for a branch that we can use for our Jesse tree. You can make your own tree on posterboard but I like the idea of having a branch as described in Isaiah 11:1: "Then a shoot will spring from the stem of Jesse, and a branch from his roots will bear fruit."

We have always tried to make our Christmas more and more Christ-filled each year. Some years are better than others. I fail and get caught up in things that don't really matter. I admit that I am very sentimental about Christmas but not in the way I should be. I love the all the old, animated Christmas shows and wouldn't miss them every year (did anyone watch Charlie Brown tonight?). But I haven't always been that careful to honor the Lord during this time. I have realized lately that I have not been living my life deliberately. I need to get rid of things that are hindering me from living a life that is honoring to Him. So, one of the things I am doing is honoring Him each day of this Christmas season by focusing on His coming. Preparing my heart (and my family's) to worship Him in all His glory. Christmas! God in the flesh! A time when God took on human form so that He could save us from our sins (Matthew 1:21). That fact alone should cause me to worship and thank Him every minute for what He has done.

As Ann says her in book:

He's coming. Let's prepare.

No comments: