Pages

Friday, June 15, 2007

Learning to Talk to Myself

One of the lessons I took away from reading "Living the Cross Centered Life" is learning to talk to myself. C. J. Mahaney puts it this way. "On a daily basis we're faced with two simple choices. We can either listen to ourselves and our constantly changing feelings about our circumstances, or we can talk to ourselves about the unchanging truth of who God is and what's He's accomplished for us at the cross through His Son Jesus."

This has been a hard lesson to learn--and I'm still learning! The Lord gave me an opportunity to put it into practice today. Michael called this morning to tell me that Jared was in a car accident. He is fine except for muscle stiffness and soreness. Praise God! But....his car is probably totaled. He drove it home but that's as far as it's going.

I have to admit that most of the morning I was listening to myself. Thoughts like these filled my mind: Why? Why, Lord? How could this happen? How is he going to pay for this car? What if it is totaled, how will he get to work? I don't have to write anymore because I'm sure you can fill in the rest!

I was thankful that Jared wasn't hurt. I wasn't bitter about what happened or blaming God but I was listening to myself and my feelings. And what does the Bible say about that? "The heart is deceitful above all things and desparately wicked, who can know it?" My heart was certainly deceiving me! Colossians 3:2 says, "Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things." Was I doing this? No! (And I just had a discussion about this with Trish on Wednesday night! How quickly I forget things!!!!)

About this time, I had to run some errands. I was still listening to myself and knew it wasn't right and that I had to do something!! I put on a CD from The Listener's Bible. I chose 1 Peter and I'm glad I did! The Lord used His Word to remind me that I needed to talk to myself about the unchanging truth of He has done for me through His Son. As C. J. says in his book, "By God's grace I was able to turn away from what I felt and began to live in the goodness of what is true and unchanging--God's grace to me through the cross."

I still don't know the answers to my questions. A friend came over to look at the car and it does indeed look bad. He's going to price some parts for us but it may not be worth it to get it fixed. How will Jared get to work? How will he pay for another car? It looks as if all the money he saved for college will be going to a car. But it's ok. God is in control. He protected Jared from harm (and the other person also). He has a reason for this and it's good (Romans 8:28-29). I have been praying that the Lord would get Jared's attention--perhaps this is the way? It's not what I as a mom would have wanted but God's ways are much better than mine!!

Here's the passage the Lord used to remind me of all He has done for me and to get me to talk to myself instead of listen.

For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. Through Him you believe in God, who raised Him from the dead and glorified Him, and so your faith and hope are in God. (1 Peter 1:18-21)

1 comment:

Trish said...

Praying for you and sweet Jared. God is at work!!