Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Sovereignty of God

The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law--Deuteronomy 29:29

My study this week in "Trusting God" has been a difficult one but encouraging also! The chapter was entitled, "The Sovereignty of God". I should have stopped then, LOL! It is a hard thing for a mere mortal like myself to comprehend how God controls all things and yet we have free will--or do we? Trish and I had a lot to discuss tonight at our weekly get together. By the time we were done, there wasn't anyone (that we could see) in the store!! Our conclusion of how to explain and understand all this? "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." (Is. 55:8-9). We have no conclusion other than this: trust the Lord! Everything that comes into our lives is for our good and His glory.

Here some excerpts from the chapter:

Confidence in the sovereignty of God in all that affects us is crucial to our trusting Him. If there is a single event in all of the universe that can occur outside of God's sovereign control, then we cannot trust Him.
~*~*~*~
No detail of your life is too insignificant for your heavenly Father's attention; no circumstance is so big that He cannot control it.
~*~*~*~
....to believe in the sovereignty of God when we do not see His direct intervention--when God is, so to speak, working entirely behind the scenes through ordinary circumstances and ordinary actions of people--is even more important, because that is the way God usually works.
~*~*~*~
No plan of God's can be thwarted; when He acts, no one can reverse it; no one can hold back His hand or bring Him to account for His actions. God does as He pleases, only as He pleases, and works out every event to bring about the accomplishment of His will. Such a bare unqualified statement of the sovereignty of God would terrify us if that were all we knew about God. But God is not only sovereign, He is perfect in love and infinite in wisdom.
~*~*~*~
I realized anew that, just as we must learn to obey God one choice at a time, we must also learn to trust God one circumstance at a time. Trusting God is not a matter of my feelings but of my will. I never feel like trusting God when adversity strikes, but I can choose to do so even when I don't feel like it. That act of the will, though, must be based on belief, and belief must be based on truth.

The trust we must believe is that God is sovereign. He carries out His own good purposes without ever being thwarted, and He so directs and controls all events and all actions of His creatures that they never act outside of His sovereign will. We must believe this and cling to this in the face of adversity and tragedy, if we are to glorify God by trusitng Him.
~*~*~*~
Whew! See why this was such a hard study? I don't understand how it all works together but God hasn't called me to understand. He has called me to trust. He has called me to obedience. And, praise His Name, He has given me the Holy Spirit and His power to do it!

4 comments:

April said...

I just left Romans 8:28 on a friend's blog who is a professing christian with cancer.I don't know how she will feel about this scripture, reconciling her cancer with God's soveriegnty and all but I pray that she see's that it is for her good and more importantly His glory. His ways are not our ways....thanks for the reminder.

Amy said...

Wow, this post is so interesting! First, I found your site via links from other bloggers. When I read the most recent post, I laughed aloud. I just finished blogging about sovereignty. I intended to comment just on a few verses in 1 Sam, but the more I thought, the more I wrote and the more I considered about God's sovereignty. I had become a little entangled with thoughts of free will and sovereignty. Finally, I had to stop thinking and tell myself to just accept, not analyze what I cannot understand. Needless to say, your post was an encouragement and a help! :)http://melton.wordpress.com/

Jodie said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've just perused several posts here, and am so encouraged by your desire to know God more and to honor Him and to live in light of the Truth!!! It's very refreshing to see. I pray that He continues to reveal Himself to you and that by His grace you will, in fact, be able to just trust Him with even the things we don't understand. For you good, and for His glory!

Many blessings in Christ,
Jodie

Sue said...

No, it was not a coincidence that I stumbled upon your blog this morning -- and especially this post, a reminder of the absolute Sovereignty of God ... something I needed to read and bolster myself with this morning. Thanks for the post -- you just never know how it will touch others.