Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Three Things I Learned

In my study of Fear Factor this past week, the last question was "What are the top three truths you learned from this chapter? How are you going to change as a result of what you learned?". The chapter was entitled, "Throw Off the Covers" and addressed calling the fear of man for what it is: sin.

Here's what I learned:

1. God's character never changes. When I fear man, I'm saying that I don't think He is worthy of my trust.

2. Fear of man is selfishness. "About whom are you most concerned when you fear man? You are not more concerned about the interests of others, about their good, or about the glory of God. You are being completely self-centered. And that's sin."

3. There are many ways to hide from God. Examples: staying far away from His Word, refusing to develop close friendships with godly people, keeping a full schedule and staying very busy.

Here's the changes I'm going to make as result of this study:

1. Rely on Him more and more; not just with the big problems but with the little things in my life also. He can be trusted!!!

2. Be like-minded with Christ as to putting others first. Philippians 2:3-5: Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. Romans 12:10: Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

3. Be diligent in the area of confessing sin and in prayer so nothing hinders my fellowship and relationship with the Lord.

What have you learned lately during your Bible study?

2 comments:

Renna said...

That sounds like a valuable book to read! Many people (believers) claim healthy fear is normal. That may be, for the world, but for a believer, as you said, fear is sin. Period.

Laurie said...

Elaine,
I noticed your comment on 22 words. Some similarities in length of marraiage (28 for us), homeschooling (3 children, but all
graduated for me. whew!)compelled me to click on your blog. Anyway, none of that is as important as a bond in Christ and as I read your latest blog post, I am rejoicing at God's call to love, not fear and His redemption making it possible!