Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday at Home

See that stuff in the above picture? That's oak pollen and it's taking over the world. Well, Central Virginia at least! It is everywhere; falling from the trees like rain. It's rolling down the street as tumbleweeds. I've been having to sweep off our deck at least three times a day. It's in our gutters, on our cars, covering our dogs......and making everyone miserable. I kept Julianne home from co-op today because her allergies are so bad. I'm not usually bothered by pollen but my eyes have been watering since I woke up. I'm looking forward to the rain tomorrow night to wash this all away. Hopefully it will rain for a few days to get rid of all this misery!

On the homekeeping front today, I'm defrosting our chest freezer. We ordered some organic beef a while back and it's now ready for pickup. I only had a day's notice! Thankfully, our freezer in the fridge was able to hold everything while I defrost the chest. Tomorrow it will be filled with steaks, roasts, and ground beef. Yummy! Last year we got 1/8 of a cow but the meat was so good we decided to get 1/4 this year.

The washing machine is working hard these days as I'm washing all our blankets, quilts, etc. I guess that is part of my spring cleaning. I want to wash the windows inside and out, wash the blinds, and clean the fans. I have to wait until all the pollen is gone to do the windows are else when I open them, my furniture will be covered in green.....just like my car is every morning.

I still haven't made any progress on our spare room, which I guess is now a storage room. Lord willing, I will be able to get to that this summer. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting rid of so much "stuff" and there's still more of it. Jessica left a lot of her things here when she moved out. I had her go through it to take what she wanted and we got rid of the rest. It's not simple to simplify!!

1 comment:

Renna said...

You know, I never thought about buying part of a cow before, though I know my folks used to do it all the time. I love the idea of having organic meat to eat.

I'm not sure what allergens are in the air, but I have been suffering lately. I know it's not what you've got, though, as we don't have anything on the ground that looks like that (thankfully)!