Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Here at Home


It's hard to believe it's May already. Where does the time go? I thought I would update on things that are happening here at home.

A few weeks ago my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He turned 89 today (and my mom 80; they share a birthday!). Tomorrow he has a meeting with his doctors to determine a course of action. My sister flew in from Nevada and she will be at the meeting as well. I'm so thankful because it seems the doctors have been giving my parents the runaround since this all started. Please keep them in your prayers--for healing, if the Lord wills, but especially for their salvation.
~*~*~*~
Trish and I have started studying the book of Hebrews using Precept materials. We have completed three lessons and already learned so much. One of the things in last week's lesson that really stuck with me comes from Hebrews 1:3: "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His being, sustaining all things by His powerful word. After He had provided purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in Heaven." What really impressed me was that He sustains all things by His powerful Word. With His word He sustains all creation! He is the One who orders all the events of history and brings them to pass.

I looked up "sustain" and found this definition: to maintain, keep in existence. He keeps us in existence!!

I find comfort there because it reminds me that ALL things are under His control. Nothing is happening that He hasn't brought to be. When I feel like the world--or my life--are out of control, I need to remember they aren't!! He is controlling everything for God's glory and my good. To me, there is great peace in that verse.
~*~*~*~
The ladies' Bible study that was meeting at my house has ended. My friend, Nancy, who taught did a great job. If you haven't studied A Woman After God's Own Heart, I highly recommend it! Next fall we'll be doing a study that Trish and I did a last year (??) called Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. Another good book!
~*~*~*~
Arwen, the beagle puppy, is doing well and adjusting to life in our home. She has learned how to sit. That is a praise. I was beginning to despair thinking she was too wild but she is just "all puppy" right now. Dasher seems to be tolerating her but they do have a lot of fun playing in our backyard. We had rain almost every day last week so they spent quite a bit of time inside but the past few days have been nice so they've been outside all day. It's great because they are so tired when they come in and sleep and sleep!
~*~*~*~
I spent the other day clearing out leaves and debris from around our backyard fence. I have a little bit more to do and then it's on to the front and side yards. I did have Rose of Sharons going down the side of my house but they have not been doing well the past few years. I'm not sure why. I have a lot across my back fence and may replant some of those on the side. These plants are from cuttings that I took from our house in NJ 19 years ago!
~*~*~*~
That's about all from here. I will update with some pictures later this week.

3 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

"Nothing is happening that He hasn't brought to be. When I feel like the world--or my life--are out of control, I need to remember they aren't!! He is controlling everything for God's glory and my good. To me, there is great peace in that verse."

Isn't it comforting to serve a great God that is in total control and isn't waiting for us to tell him what to do or how to do it?

I am so grateful that He is all powerful and all knowing...

Haley is going to be in VA for another year. Her hubby got a crane job. I am so hoping to be able to come to VA to visit. :o)

Toia said...

Your parents and the rest of your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. And I will especialy pray for everyone's strength and endurance as you fight this head-on each step of the way.

Thanks for sharing about your bible studies. It's an encouragement to my spirit.

Have a bless day!!

number17cherrytreelane said...

I just happened upon your blog. My father was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago. I will be thinking of you.
My love,
Rachel