Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Respectable Sins

Our fellowship group is going through the book, Respectable Sins, by Jerry Bridges. I wanted to share with you some quotes that I have been reading and that have been on my mind lately.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Stepping forward to accept my place as a sinner in need of the gospel each day drives a dagger into my self-righteous heart and prepares me to face up to and accept the reality of the sin that still dwells within me.
~*~*~*~*~*~
It is the gospel that motivates us to seek to be in our daily experience what we are in our standing before God.
~*~*~*~*~*~
To walk by the Spirit is to live under the controlling influence of the Spirit and in dependence upon Him.

Practically speaking, we live under the controlling influence of the Spirit as we continually expose our minds to and seek to obey the Spirit's moral will for us as revealed in Scripture. We live in dependence of Him through prayer as we continually cry out to Him for His power to enable us to obey His will.
~*~*~*~*~*~
As we seek to walk by the Spirit, we will, over time, see the Spirit working in us and through us to cleanse us from the remaining power of sin in our lives. We will never reach perfection in this life, but we will see progress.
~*~*~*~*~*~
The Holy Spirit works in us to convict us and to make us aware of our subtle sins. He then works in us to enable us to put to death those sins. Then He works in us in ways of which we are not conscious. And then He uses the circumstances of our lives to exercise us in the activity of dealing with our sins.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Jerry advises to pray for these things:
~that the Holy Spirit will enable me to see the hidden, subtle sins in my life
~that God would give me a heart that longs to be in intimate relationship with Him--and to promptly confess my sins as His Spirit makes me aware of them

Last year while studying Holiness by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, she urged us to ask the Lord to show us more of His holiness and more of our sinfulness. This is what Jerry is asking us to do also. What a hard thing that is to do! To face up to those little sins that don't seem so big compared to what the world does. As if they don't matter to a perfect and holy God. I pray that He continues to show me those sins and that I continue to rely on His Spirit and power to overcome them.

No comments: