Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Various Thoughts

I can't believe that it's Friday already....and that tomorrow is the 23rd of the month. Where does the time go? I haven't been particularly busy this week. There has been the usual homekeeping and homeschooling; working on my embroidery projects; Bible study; errands, etc. I think it's part of getting older!! I remember when I was younger having older people tell me how fast the time goes by but I didn't really think so. Now I do!!
==========
What you be done around the home in 15-20 minutes? Wash a sink full of dishes, fold a basket of laundry, scrub the tub and toilet, straighten up a room, clean out a junk drawer, read a few chapters from the Word, write an encouraging note to someone. I used to think I needed huge blocks of time in order to get things done around the house and would sometimes put off doing a project. I know now that I can get a lot of things done in a little amount of time.
==========
Homeschooling is going well. Julianne is really enjoying going to co-op twice a week and likes her classes. Well, most of them. She's not too keen on biology and is really struggling in that class. I know that science isn't her strongest subject so I will be satisfied with her passing the class! I know she studies very hard, works on all her projects and has even done a lot of extra credit projects. That's all I can ask. She's doing well in her writing/literature class and in algebra. And she's doing well here at home with history and Spanish.
On the subject of "time flies", she is starting to think of what she wants to do when she graduates. She's pretty sure she would like to go to college but that's about it. Her main passion right now is art and photography.
==========
Our pastor has challenged us to "keep the main thing the main thing"--that being loving God. He asked us to remember what it was like when we were first saved and how that looked in our lives. I thought about how I was when I was first saved in 1979. 31 years ago! I couldn't wait to get home from work to read my Bible and I was so excited to read it!! I would eat dinner and then basically climb into bed and read for hours and hours. I would sing and praise the Lord all the time! I loved listening to Christian music and would have it on whenever possible. I would tell others about Jesus whenever I could! It was so exciting to me that He would die for me and for my sins in order to appease God's wrath!! I was now alive where I was once dead in my trespasses and sin.....and I had to tell people about it.
I see now that I have lost a lot of that enthusiasm. I still read my Bible but not for hours at at time. Could I do that now that I homeschool and have other reponsibilities? Of course! There are other things that I could cut out of my day in order to make the time. I still listen to Christian music; that has not changed at all. I still tell people about Jesus but not with the passion that I once did.
How can I change those things to be like I once was? One of the ways our pastor suggested was to remember who we were (enemies of God) and what God has done for us. Here's what Ephesians 2:1-10 says about that:

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful naturea and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Studying and meditating on this passage causes me to remember why I love the Lord: because He FIRST loved me!!

No comments: