Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Scripture Memory

A friend of mine wanted to memorize Scripture this year and asked if I would memorize with her.  I was excited!  I have memorized lots of Scripture but not lately so I was up for the challenge.  At first we were going to memorize Philippians but then decided to each pick verses instead of a whole book.  It was fairly easy to pick which verses I wanted to memorize.  The hard part was deciding how I wanted to go about it.  Instead of just writing down the verses and getting down to the memorizing part, I had to make everything complicated.  Ha!  This is my life story!!

First I was going to write them in a book, as suggested at this website.  Then I thought I would buy a new journal and put the verses in there.  So I went to Barnes and Noble and as I was looking at the journals, I realized I had many blank ones at home that I could use.  (I ended up buying picture books in Spanish to send to our missionary in Honduras!).  When I got home, I got out all my journals and literally spent an hour trying to figure out which one I was going to use and how I was going to arrange the verses on the page.  Realizing that I didn't really want to put the verses into a book or journal, I decided on 3x5 cards.  But--should they be white?  colored?  lined?  graphed?  blank?  should I hand write it or print out the verses?  Would I use them separately or buy the spiral kind???  Then it hit me---what in the world was I doing?  Did it really matter?  Did I really need to spend all this time on such nonsense?  Wouldn't my time be better spent on memorizing and meditating on the verses instead of how I was going to display/carry them?

My mind was distracted with all the trappings of the world instead of the Word.  I was more concerned about how my verses would look rather than getting them in my mind and heart.  What did I finally decide?  I wrote out my memory verse for the week on three 3x5 cards (colored/marbled ones that I already had in my desk drawer).  One for at my desk, one for by our bed and one to take with me.  That's it.  Nothing fancy....but something useful and needed.

I pray that I will learn to keep things simple and get down to the business of putting the Lord first in everything  I do.  May I learn to delight in Him and in His Word.

From Psalm 119:

I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.  (16)
Your statues are my delight; they are  my counselors. (24)
Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I  find delight.  (35)
For I delight in your commands because I love them.  (47)
Let your compassion come to me that I might live, for your law is  my delight.  (77)
If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.  (92)

Oh, and my memory verse this week?  Psalm 25:4-5:  Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

3 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I resemble this post. *big grin*

Phil said...

Hi. Great to see your excitement about memorizing from PSALMS. My favorite Scripture memory website that might be an encouragement and inspiration to you and your friend is www.memverse.com

In Christ, Phil Walker
philjohn1558@yahoo.com

A Servant of the King said...

Amy, I have heard this from a few ladies. Glad to know I'm not the only one!!

Phil, thanks so much. I will check it out!