Pages

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

The Family Circus



"Family Circus" creator, Bil Keane, dies...

I didn't know Bil Keane or his family but I certainly felt like I did!  I grew up reading "Family Circus".  I was about 7 or 8 when my dad brought home one of their books.  I still have it--even after 47 years!  It's falling apart and I've since bought another copy but I still kept that one.

Ever since I received that first book I've been collecting them and have almost the entire collection.  To me, "Family Circus" celebrates marriage and family life back in the day when it was a more innocent time.  When family values were important.

I know his cartoons were cheesy sometimes but they were very sweet, too.  I guess I am really nostalgic about them.  They remind me of growing up in the 1960's when it was so much different than today.  His cartoons were about things that I could relate to and about families that I knew.  Did this ever happen in your home?




I don't know if his son will continue his legacy but I'm glad I have a lot of his books because I will never be too old to read them.  It will be a sad day, indeed, when there's no "Family Circus" on the funny pages.


1 comment:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I love these comics, too...