Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Washington, DC Trip

Michael had to go to Washington, DC this past Thursday through Sunday.  While he was there for business, I went with him to see some sights while he was in his meetings.  Although I didn't get to see him during the day we did have dinner together every night.  That was a blessing!

We took the train up on Thursday afternoon and had dinner at the hotel.

Friday I spent the day at the National Gallery of Art.  The whole day and I still didn't see everything.  I really enjoyed the George Bellows exhibition.  I had never heard of him so I first went to see a film about his life and then the exhibition.  I really enjoyed it and was glad to find a new artist.

One of my favorite things was all the mobiles from Alexander Calder.  They were in a room all by themselves and it was so peaceful to sit there gazing at all of them.

Saturday I did the touristy thing and rode the Double Decker bus around to see the sights.  The first stop was the Holocaust Museum where I spent about 2 hours.  The permanent exhibition is very moving and I couldn't get through it without crying.  There were some exhibits that I couldn't really look at for long.  I wouldn't say I enjoyed the visit but I found it very powerful and something I will never forget.  I hope the world never forgets either.

My second stop was the Jefferson Memorial which I had never seen before.  After that, I just rode the bus around town and enjoyed the view.  It was a beautiful day and the breeze at the top of the bus was refreshing!

We came back by train on Sunday and had dinner with some friends who picked us up.  It was a wonderful weekend!

Here's some pictures:


Inside the National Art Gallery lobby


Train Ride on the way home


I like the girl in this painting.  She looks so self-confident.

The Heritage Foundation

Our Hotel Lobby.  We stayed at the Hyatt in Capitol Hill.

Renoir

Michael at dinner

Our Room

Love, love, love this Monet painting.



Random pigeon walking through the Amtrak station!


We ran into a huge rainstorm coming home from dinner on Saturday night.  Thankfully there was a cab right at the door of our restaurant and we didn't get  too wet.

I really like this painting.  I just love the ease with which the man skates!



Van Gogh.  I like the colors here.  

This is the walkway between the East and West Buildings of the National Art Gallery.  Fun!


Wyeth.  Can't you just feel that breeze?  This is such a peaceful picture.

No comments: