Pages

Thursday, August 01, 2013

A Good Start

On July 1st a good friend of mine, who had lost some weight, told me about My Fitness Pal.  It's a site where you keep track of your calories and your exercise.  And it's free!  I started using it the next day and in one month have lost 7 lbs!  When you first sign up, you put your goals in and it calculates how many calories you should have each day.  By keeping to that number, you will lose weight.

I also added exercise to my routine.  I joined our neighborhood pool and go when I can.  Although this summer it has really been rainy.  I do something called "water jogging".  Basically I am running and/or walking around the pool and, believe me, it is hard!  But my feet and ankles are really weak and this has been a way for me to exercise and not put a lot of pressure on my joints.  Plus it's a lot less sweatier!

Counting calories and watching portion sizes has really been great for me.  It was hard at first but now I'm used to it.  I knew that I needed something that was not a big change from what I've been doing but a slow, gradual change that I could incorporate into my daily routine.

I also purchased a Fit Bit Zip. It's a little device that I wear all day long that counts my steps.  When I first started wearing it, I only logged in 1000 steps.  Ugh; what a slug!  Now I am between 3000 and 4000 but am working on the goal of 5000 a day.  This little device has been a great motivation for me as I'm always trying to add a little more.  I park far away to add more steps, etc.  One of my friends has it and she has challenged me each day.  She does 10,000 steps each day.  I am nowhere near that but I hope to be someday.  Frankly, I'm not into a competition like that but is fun to see how much I do each day.  My competition is with myself.

Why after all this time am I getting in shape?  I guess I just got tired of being tired all the time.  I also have two events that I would like to look nice for.  One is my nephew's reception in September and the other is our church's ladies' retreat in October at the beach.  I want to be able to walk along the beach w/o huffing and puffing!!

Lord willing, I will keep up to date here with my progress.  There's a button on the right-hand side that lets you know how I'm doing!!

No comments: